Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Tv Tray turned into a bedside table

          This isn't the first thing I have made or in this case redone.  I have the set of 4 tv trays and well for 1 they are ugly and 2 we never use them. We eat dinner at the table like normal people and when I choose to eat on the couch it's with a pillow in my lap.  I was bored trying to see what I had in the garage that I could cover in paint and I came across 1 of these tv trays.  

           So I set this table up in the garage and I thought I should probably attempt to sand some of this but I am lazy so I decided I'd take my chances without.  I painted the top of this with white acrylic paint.  I know that isn't what it's for but that is what I had at the moment and hey, it did the job.  My paint brush left streaks even after about 3-4 coats so I used a roller to smooth it out and that worked pretty well.

          I was going to leave the legs black but I decided it would look better if it was all white.....but I was using acrylic paint and I was running out.  I started rummaging through my husband's stuff and found some semi-gloss oil based white paint for interior.  This crap is sticky and will NOT come out of the paint brush and is very difficult to get off your hands and your wedding ring (which I forgot to take off, oops!) Anyways the oil worked as a sealant and that paint is never coming off those legs.  Next time I will read the entire paint can before using. :) LOL

          I wanted light pastel like colors to match my daughter's room so I used the acrylic paint that I already had from a previous project. They were too dark for a pastel look so I mixed them with whatever white I had left, which is why they are not as light as they should be. ;)  I decided to cut  out circles out of card stock. I had to fix some of the edges of the circles free handed....but I think I did a pretty good job.  If you want this to be a little easier, I  suggest you buy a premade stencil  to put polka dots on something.  The only sealant like product I have is Mod Podge Spray but that worked fine. 

          So there it is! Simple bedside table for my 7 year old and she looooves it!  Stay tuned, I plan on trying to figure out how to attach some kind of matching basket for a drawer. 

2 comments: